Tuesday 2 October 2012

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy 4 ****

The Hairy Maclary series of books are my all time favourite children's picture books. I really like  the language in these books. The words bounce along, a little bit like I imagine Hairy Maclary bounces along.  There is alot of repetition of the text Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy and then later and Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy. Not to forget Herculues Morse as big as a horse. When I'm reading this particular story to children I love the part where all the dogs meet Scarface Claw. I love reading  Scarface Claw's EEEEEEOWWWFFTZ in a loud voice. It sometimes makes the children jump.
The detail pictures is interesting too. Hairy Maclary lives at house number 60. Hercules Morse lives at number 54, and so on right down the street till Schnitzel Von Krumm's house which is number 22. As a new dog is introduced to the reader, with a picture of him coming out the gate, you can just see the tails of the other dogs passing.
My other favourites in the series:
Hairy Maclary's bone
Caterwaul Capers
Scattercat.


I've been reading Hairy Maclary since my 2 boys were both very young. i think I know all teh words off by heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment